Full-Time Continuing Exempt Position
A) ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW
Camosun College is a leading community college in British Columbia with values that include a commitment to learning, a focus on the student, appreciation of the people who provide the services and support that sustain the learning relationship, a dedication to service and a spirit of respect. Physically located on two urban campuses, we have 20,000 fulltime and part time learners, a complement of over 1,100 employees, and an operating budget in excess of $107 million.
Camosun International, with a staff complement of 19 Exempt, CCFA and CUPE staff and gross revenue of over $8 million, provides college-wide leadership in the development and coordination of international education initiatives at Camosun College. An entrepreneurial unit, CI operates within a policy that identifies the college’s commitment to global education. The activities of the department include the marketing and promotion of the college for the purpose of recruiting international fee paying students and fee for service contracts, the establishment of international linkages and partnerships for academic exchanges and joint projects, involvement in funded international development projects, and events that support and strengthen the internationalization of the college.
B) JOB SUMMARY
Reporting to the Director, Camosun International, the Associate Director will take a leadership role in guiding the day-to-day operation of the International Education Department. The Associate Director will work as a member of the CI Management Team with the Director, Manager of International Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions and the Assistant Manager, International Recruitment. The major areas of responsibility include the implementation of the CI Business Plan initiatives related to the International Students Services, Study Abroad and College Internationalization units.
C) REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
This position is responsible to the Director. Reporting directly to the Associate Director are:
1. International Counsellors
2. International Advisors
3. Housing Coordinator
4. Study Abroad Assistant
D) ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. International Student Services
• Liaises with the Associate Deans and Department Chairs regarding the integration of international students into college classes and programs.
• Monitors and modifies mechanisms for the allocation of international student seats in classes and programs.
• Provides support and direction to the international student services staff.
• Provides leadership and direction for international advising, counselling and housing services.
• Liaises with the Registrar’s Office related to college policies related to students and on issues related to international students’ integration into the college systems.
• Liaises with Citizenship and Immigration Canada and other related government and provincial and national associations to monitor issues and regulation changes related to international students in Canada
• With the Manager, International Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions monitors international student application, registration and academic progress trends and recommends and implements changes required to departmental procedures, staffing and/or marketing and recruitment activities.
2. Student Mobility/Study Abroad
• With the Director and Manager, International Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions develops partnerships with institutions, associations and agencies which will foster international student mobility opportunities.
• Reviews and makes recommendations related to the ongoing promotion and growth of student mobility activities at Camosun College including individual student exchanges for both incoming and outgoing students and group field schools.
• Develops appropriate procedures and resources to support student mobility activities, including promotion, selection, pre-departure and re-integration sessions.
• Manages the college’s risk profile related to students studying abroad.
• Monitors and responds as appropriate to calls for proposals related to international student mobility programs.
• Works to develop a range of education abroad options that will engage students and faculty from all academic Schools and Centres.
• Liaises with the Registrar’s Office on issues related to student mobility and study abroad for domestic students at Camosun College.
• Provides leadership in internationalization initiatives and the promotion of internationalization activities throughout the college.
• Contributes to the development, implementation and evaluation of policies, procedures and guidelines related to internationalization.
• Facilitates communication and liaison across the college community with respect to internationalization, especially of faculty and curricula.
• Assists with curriculum development, implementation and evaluation across the College.
• Works with internal and external groups to promote internationalization across the College and the province.
• Participates in the orientation and ongoing education of College personnel in relation to Internationalization.
• Takes a leadership role in developing annual internationalization and intercultural training events
• Liaises with Educational Support & Development, Learning Technologies and others as appropriate to promote an integrated approach to faculty and curriculum development initiatives related to internationalization.
• Assumes all or part of the responsibilities of the Director during periods of the Director’s absence from the college.
• Represents the Director at college meetings when required.
• Participates in the budget development process and monitor both revenue and expenditures on a monthly basis
• Monitors international student statistics and prepare regular enrolment management reports
• Provides support to the Director on special projects, as required
E) EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES
• Experience dealing with the broad range of issues related to international students studying in Canada and Canadian students studying abroad.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and above average communication skills, presentation skills and intercultural awareness.
• A high degree of competency with technology, including student records management, CRM, writing and budget development.
• A graduate degree in a relevant discipline.
• Five to seven years experience working in the field of international education in a post-secondary institution
• An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. .
A competitive salary, opportunities for Professional Development and an excellent benefit package are offered. Reply in confidence by April 20, 2012, with resume, quoting posting A0- to:
3100 Foul Bay Road
Victoria, BC V8P 5J2
Fax (250) 370-3664
We thank everyone for applying, as only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Some international and domestic travel is required.